[colug-432] Top Photo Printers (not AIO) for linux

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Wed Oct 19 18:48:55 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, October 19, 2011 06:07:36 PM R S Prigan wrote:
> I am seeking recommendations.
>
> I may be in the market for a new *photo* printer.  I want high
> quality, longevity, and best linux compatibility.  I seek a photo
> printer, not an all in one, with the compromises that usually entails.

Last I looked, the recommendation from linuxprinting.org was to get an Epson
photo printer.
And you've already discovered the ink-clogging problems with Epsons.

Of course, the last I looked into it, linuxprinting.org was not yet run by the
Linux Foundation, had not yet been succeeded by openprinting.org, and was not
among the sites down due to hacking.
And I've had my Epson long enough (well over 5 years anyway) that it now
refuses to do anything until I take it in for "regular maintenance".

You can get some information here:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/database/databaseintro
But all the good links point to the currently-down openprinting.org.

A possibly-useful site that's actually up is the Gutenprint site:
http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/

At this point it's probably reasonable to pick a printer you like first, check
the specs for Mac or Linux support (Macs use the same print system as Linux,
but may have binary-only drivers), then check the Gutenprint site (or Google)
to see how the Linux support is.