[colug-432] Keysigning Party at OLF

Joshua Kramer josh at globalherald.net
Sat Sep 3 16:13:37 EDT 2011

> Except for the last part, is this somehow different from generating the
> keys on my computer then moving the files to my USB flash drive?

Good question.  I don't know enough about smartcards to answer with
authority, but the following come to mind.

First, you'd have to do some footwork to manage your keys - this might
mean keeping your mozilla / thunderbird data directories on your USB
drive, and figuring out an easy way to make everything accessible under
both Linux and Windows if you use both, etc.

Second, you'd have to figure out how to keep your keys secure.  This might
mean encrypting your key via other means, etc.

All of that work is done under standard smartcard management software.
So, you might be able to use the same key to sign an e-mail, or a
LibreOffice document, whether you are on your work PC (Windows) or home PC
(Linux) or whatever, simply by slipping a smartcard in the slot.