[colug-432] Bar Codes

Ian Wilson ian.m.wilson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 17:57:07 EDT 2011

Peter;

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Peter Kukla <fruviad at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On a related topic...does anyone have any recommendations for cheap,
> Linux-friendly barcode scanners?

I've been a big fan of the Honeywell Genesis 7580 Barcode scanners.  They
have extremely fast decode time, have aimer LED's if you need them, and
emulate a USB keyboard (or, RS485 if you've got point of sales equipment).

If you watch, you can pick them up on ebay for about $25 each -- I use them
to monitor what food items I'm throwing away so I can add them to the next
shopping list, along with other goodies (book, game, music, and video
collection tracking, asset tagging at $CONTRACT_JOB, etc).

Ian

--
Ian Wilson
ian.m.wilson at gmail.com

Solving site load issues with database replication is a lot like solving
your own personal problems with heroin -- at first, it sorta works, but
after a while things just get out of hand.