[colug-432] Spring Cleaning/Maintainance

William Yang wyang at gcfn.net
Tue Apr 3 08:02:22 EDT 2012

On 04/02/2012 02:37 PM, davelist at mac.com wrote:

> <snip>
>
> I've always heard vacuuming is bad (because of static electricity). Is that not true?

I don't know if it's bad from a static electricity standpoint, but it's
certainly was *really* bad when the cleaning crew plugged a heavy duty
vacuum cleaner into the UPS that protected a large state university's core
routing, switching and e-mail infrastructure.  (I use this as a physical
security failure example when I give talks ;-).

I wonder how many OSU folks remember the e-mail outage that was 14 hours
long back in the 1994-1996 window when that happened.... ;-)

--
William Yang
wyang at gcfn.net