[colug-432] conflicting CPU usage information

Jeff Frontz jeff.frontz at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 10:24:33 EDT 2012

I did some looking at the kernel source this morning.  From what I can
determine, a process is counted toward the "load average" if it is:
  - runnable (which includes running on the CPU as well as waiting on
the queue for an idle CPU to become available)
  - "uninterruptible", which includes processes waiting for a page of
memory to become available -- e.g., from something in swap or for a
mmap'd file or, if I'm reading it correctly, if it wants access to a
page (or any other kernel resource) that some other process has
locked.

It's the latter type of process (in addition to the frequent
unproductive interrupt handler) that would definitely pump your load
average up without a simultaneous increase in CPU utilization.

For your own look-see, check out
http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.18/kernel/sched.c#L1890

Jeff