[colug-432] KVM management

Steve Roggenkamp roggenkamps at acm.org
Tue Aug 7 08:58:50 EDT 2012

I've been using KVM for my personal VMs for over three years and have
been generally pleased with it.  I have configured my system to have a
base system responsible for hosting the VMs, then several VMs to
perform different tasks.  For instance, I have one VM for browsing the
general web, one for connecting to my financial institutions, one for
VPN connections to my work, etc.  The base system has exportable file
systems that VMs can mount via NFS.

My first system I configured like this was based (and still is) on
Debian 5.  I purchased a new laptop this Spring, an HP Pavilion dv6
having an AMD A6 with 8 GB RAM and use Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for it.  My
primary reason for using Ubuntu rather than Centos is that it uses a
much newer kernel.

Thnigs work pretty well with my setup.  I use Spice rather than VNC as
it seems faster, and I could never get audio to work with VNC.  There
seems to be a significant difference in video performance between
native and virtual systems, but I'm still looking into using the
network ability of X Windows to mitigate to some extent.  What I mean
by this is I use ssh invoked from the base so that it's displayed on
the native display rather than on the Spiced console.  So, to run
firefox on a VM, I use the following command on my base system:

    ssh -X webuser at 192.168.122.125  firefox

The other thing that seems to help is to use a display size that maps
1:1 to the native canvas to eliminate scaling.  I'm still
experimenting.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Steve