[colug-432] I/O Error?

Thomas W. cranston thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 23:55:15 EST 2012

On 12/06/2012 07:26 PM, Bill Baker wrote:
> Yeah, same here.  As soon as I got the data off the drive, I retired it
> and replaced it with a new one.  SpinRite is definitely worth the money,
> even if you only use it once.
>
> On 12/06/2012 08:16 PM, Rick Hornsby wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 6, 2012, at 17:48 PM, Bill Baker<bill_chris at earthlink.net>  wrote:
>>
>>> Just to add my two cents and plug a piece of software, I once had a hard
>>> drive that was completely dead.  Couldn't boot up or even read it as a
>>> secondary drive.  All the data on it would have been gone if I hadn't
>>> tried SpinRite.  After running it on the drive, I was able to recover
>>> all of the data from it and even boot the drive again.  It's really an
>>> amazing piece of software and it weighs in at only 170K, which includes
>>> FreeDOS so that it can boot from a floppy, CD or thumb drive.  It can be
>>> purchased here:
>>>
>>> http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
>>
>> That is really good to know, thanks.  Always keeping my eyes open for good tools like this.
>>
>> Have to be honest.  I'm with the sentiment that others have expressed - get your data off the drive. now.  If a tool like spinrite lets the drive live long enough to manage that, great.  It just paid for itself and was definitely worth it.  If it brings a drive back from the dead - I'm tempted to buy it right now just to have it on hand.
>>
>> However, I'm really hesitant to ever trust the drive for anything remotely important again.  As someone else said, rip out the magnets and call it done.  Maybe try a WillItBlend experiment with the platters.  Drives are cheap compared to what you lose when it barfs on itself, and chances are you can get a bigger drive (thus risking more data to a single piece of hardware ... hmm) for whatever you bought the newly acquired doorstop for.

What to buy?

I've narrowed my choices to a Seagate Momentus XT ST750LX003 750GB 7200
RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Solid State Hybrid Drive -Bare Drive

or

Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA
3.0Gb/s with NCQ Solid State Hybrid Drive -Bare Drive

There's a $40 price difference. I'm thinking get the 500 GB drive that
has half the Gb/s, and put the extra money towards another 2 GB of RAM
as most of the stuff I do is going to be running out of RAM anyway.

Tom