[colug-432] I/O Error?

Stephen Potter spp at unixsa.net
Fri Dec 7 07:26:34 EST 2012

On 12/7/2012 12:23 AM, Rick Hornsby wrote:
> If your laptop is something you haul around with you, but you have a desktop at home you may want to consider if you really need to drag 750GB worth of stuff around.  A *NIX based OS like Linux or OSX could benefit quite a bit from another 2GB of RAM.  Windows, not as much.

I would suggest that it is exactly the opposite of what you said.  A
Windows based operating system will see more of a gain from a boost in
memory than a *NIX based OS, particularly if you are looking at a small
( < 4GB ) memory config.  When my work equipped me with a very nice 2nd
Gen i7 laptop, originally hampered with Windows XP and 4GB of memory, I
went and purchased an extra 4G module.  The change in responsiveness was
nothing short of amazing.  With 4G, the machine was always sluggish, it
took a long time for applications to load, and if I tried to open up
multiple Excel and Word docs, I would often get random hangs for 20-30
seconds.  With the extra memory applications loaded very quickly, I
could have a dozen Excel and Word files open and switching between them
was almost instantaneous.  On the other hand, my home router is an old
HP laptop running Linux, and the VPS that I run several company websites
from, are all pretty low memory (and low CPU for that matter).

-spp