[colug-432] Yum Question

Rob Stampfli res at colnet.cmhnet.org
Fri Feb 10 18:26:41 EST 2012

I'm running CentOS (currently 5.7) on my servers.  Recently CentOS
issued a number of updates to packages.  Unfortunately, one of them
(SquirrelMail) seems to be badly crafted:  It squawks a dependency
for "php-common", when I believe it should allow either "php-common"
or "php53-common" to satisfy the dependency.  Thus, when I do a
"yum update", the command fails because "php-common" and "php53-common"
(which I do have loaded) are mutually exclusive.

Frankly, I'm in no particular hurry to take the update for squirrelmail.
However, this conflict is making life a pain:  If I simply do a
"yum update", it fails.  I have to figure out the list of updated
packages and then individually specify each one (except squirrelmail)
on the yum command-line to pull them in.

My Question: Is there some way of specifying to yum that I'd like
to exclude one (or more) packages from being considered when I do
a global "yum update"?

Thanks in advance,
Rob