[colug-432] Un-LVM-ify a partition?

Joshua Kramer joskra42.list at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 22:54:40 EST 2012

Howdy All,

Is it possible to un-LVM-ify a partition?

I have a 500G disk that used to be in a desktop machine I used on a regular
basis.  So there's a LOT of stuff on the disk, dating back years.  The disk
consists of one boot partition, and a LVM containing two additional
partitions, a 20G and a 460G.

I want to use this disk as an external disk in a USB enclosure for backing
stuff up.  The only issue is, with LVM it's not "plug and go" - you have to
plug it in, and then as root run vgchange to make the LVM-based partitions
visible.  Is there some way I can "remove the LVM wrapper" around the 460G
partition?  If, for example, I were to somehow find the exact beginning and
ending sectors of my 460G partition, could I use the LVM admin tool to
remove the volume, then create a primary partition with those beginning and
ending sectors?

While I can assemble an array of disks of various sizes to copy all my data
over and just regenerate the partition, I'd like to avoid doing so if
possible.

Cheers,
-JK