[colug-432] NTFS on CentOS6...

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 13:04:12 EST 2012

There are some half-decent tools for reading ext3 in windows.  For a really long time (maybe still?) kernel NTFS write support was experimental.

This kind of makes sense considering that NTFS is(?) a closed standard, and that Microsoft has been known to make backwards-incompatible changes to the FS between service packs.  I've personally run into this and have spent hours asking myself w.t.f.? I can't read this NTFS disk after a reinstall (but before applying service packs)?

If you only need to read the disk in Windows, one of the win32 ext3 tools might work.  If you're looking for full r/w support in both Linux and Windows - honestly you might better off fronting the disk w/ samba.

As always, I could be wrong - direct attached, cross-OS storage is def one of those things that I've banged my head on the desk for years trying to get working right.

Sent from my iPhone