[colug-432] Boot Disc

Steve Roggenkamp roggenkamps at acm.org
Sun Feb 19 23:28:58 EST 2012

I can think of several routes to go.

1. Knoppix offers a 'boot-only' CD image for 6.7.1 that apparently
boots to the point where it can read a USB drive.  I've never tried
it, but it looks interesting.  See the knoppix web site,
http://www.knoppix.org for info.

2. Download a fresh, up-to-date ISO image from www.knoppix.org and
burn a CD.  Won't be 6.4.4 as the current release is 6.7.1, but it
should get you Knoppix.

3. Use genisoimage (at least that's the ISO file system creation
utility on Debian) to create an ISO image from your USB drive, burn
that to a CD and boot from that.  It's been several years since I
actually did this to create a bootable CDROM, so I'd have to do some
research to remember all of the gotchas, such as making sure the boot
image was correct, I set the correct flags to genisoimage, etc.

Hope tihs helps,
Steve