[colug-432] February COLUG Meeting Announcement

Scott McCarty scott.mccarty at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 11:35:14 EST 2012

Definitely the build tools!!! I understand the basics of Maven, Rake, etc, but it would be cool to see how people are really using them. With open source C code almost everybody uses automake, so the build process is (or some variation of that):

./configure
make
make install

There are variations and also all kind of unofficial standards with things like --prefix, etc, etc. I think most of us are familiar, IMHO, with these kinds of things. It's sort of tribal knowledge, but it's fairly well known. What I would like to see is a comparison of how Java/Ruby/Python compare to the way we normally do things in C. I kinda know a lot of this stuff myself, but I think there are some black holes and gaps and I think a compare/contrast between modern open-source build tools/workflows vs. tradition would be a great service to most of us.

Virtulenv is similar to RVM except virtual env can't grab the source, and compile it as I have been told that RVM can. I could imagine a presentation that has a couple of diagrams showing a couple standard C workflows compared with one for Python, one for Ruby, and one for Java. Honestly, Java is the most interesting to me because the Java world is so large and it is the one I am least familiar with. It would be completely OK to demonstrate how Java goes beyond what normal C programmers with automated builds, etc, though I believe C programmers are doing this too now.

Best Regards
Scott M