[colug-432] Supported Video CentOS 6 #2

Thomas Cranston thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 16:01:20 EST 2012

On 2/21/12, Rick Hornsby <richardjhornsby at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is intentional, and doesn't mean anything is wrong.

>The installer is running a low resolution mode for maximum compatibility w/ the most hardware to avoid crashing the system during the install and b/c high res isn't needed.

The Installer is not running.

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Feb 21, 2012, at 12:16, Thomas Cranston <thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I just ran CentOS 6.0 i386 Live CD, and Live DVD, And they both ran
>> the Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE] AGP video card At many
>> resolutions up tp 1920 X 1200.
>>
>> I did the install from the Live DVD, maybe theLive CD.
>>
>> So why does the install only run the video at 800 X 600, while the
>> Live sessions run video at about any resolution up to 1920 X 1200?
>>
>> I also ran the Live CD on an old Dell Optiplex GX110 where it would
>> display up to 1920 X 1200.

I am no longer at the installation stage. CentOS has been installed
for quite a while now, so why can't it run the video at a higher
resolution now?

Tom

Logged in as root:

System ->Administration->Display->Settings-> Resolution, the dropdown displays:
640 X 480
800 X 600
1024 X 768
2048 X 1536
 I can select different settings, follow instructions, reboot, but the
display always comes up 800 X 600