[colug-432] USB hub you'd trust attached to your server?

Andy Graybeal andy.graybeal at casanueva.com
Thu Jul 5 08:03:16 EDT 2012

Generally speaking, I wouldn't trust a usb hub attached to my server.. but if there was one, maybe you guys have experience with it.  Newegg brings up a Rosewill and a Dlink... but the reviews say they are both not so great.  I was hoping maybe there was something more robust that happens to not be at Newegg.  Plus it sucks I'm thinking about slapping consumer device to a server and expecting it to work forever, maybe there is a Super Awesome USB HUB for server-type use.   Or I could find a nice server box with lots of USB ports; I probably wouldn't buy a new server box just for this.. but it's something to consider.

My application.. which is in the imaginary "I wonder" phase... is running these ports as passthrough to kvm/libvirt machines running POS app.  The ports would run some serial printers and touchscreens.

I got 12 devices,  5 touchscreens and 7 printers.  I'd like the freedom in the future to change this pretty easily, but for now I don't see this changing soon.

Maybe you guys can help me out.

Rosewill: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182057
DLink: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817111402

Andy