[colug-432] Oracle v Google News

Mark Aufdencamp mark at aufdencamp.com
Fri Jun 1 14:41:10 EDT 2012

That last link seems real important to developers.  Copyright only
protects the implementation of an API, and not the method signature.  A
patent is required to protect the method signature.

The comments about this being the second time that the law firm,
retained by Oracle to argue the point, has lost this claim also seems
relevant.  How did this factor into the SCO decision on the Linux kernel
utilizing the traditional *nix API's?

I find this great reliefe as a developer of statically typed languages
like Java, but wonder whether the principal will hold true with
dynamically typed languages in the future. (Duck Typing)  Anyone care to
comment?

As for myself, I'll stick to languages with open source licensing of its
API's for my development!