[colug-432] "Interesting" Phone Call

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Fri Jun 22 15:55:31 EDT 2012

I got an "interesting" phone this afternoon from someone who
claimed that my Microsoft Windows computer was sending them
messages with passwords and other nifty secrets, and that they
were calling to help me remove the bad software that sending
the secrets. He asked if I was in front my computer. I asked
if the problem was due specifically to MS Windows, and he
confirmed yes. When I said that I did not have a Windows
computer, he said he must have the wrong number and hung up.
He had a south asian accent.

When he asked if I was in front of my computer, I think he was
going to have me go to some web site that would take over
my computer under the guise of "helping me".

If I had been thinking quicker, I would have booted Knoppix on
a computer with no hard drive, then play along. With more
preparation, wireshark, honeypots, and friends would be fun.
A fun question _before_ visiting the sucker web site would
be to ask what my IP address is (since they are getting
messages from my computer) and how they got from my IP address
to my phone number.