[colug-432] to get a tablet

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Sun Mar 11 15:43:40 EDT 2012

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Rick Troth <rmt at casita.net> wrote:
> What do y'all think about tablets?

I have an Amazon Kindle Fire, and I generally like it. I use it to
read books, and to play a couple silly games with my toddler. I've
watched a couple videos via Amazon Video on Demand on the device, but
the lack of (hardware) volume control makes that a hit or miss
activity.

I've been trying to decide if I want to buy a coworker's HP TouchPad,
but frankly I don't know what I'd do with it. I don't consume a lot of
media. I don't play a lot of games; and the games available on tablets
don't generally get me excited. I don't use things like Pinterest or
Instapaper or other "read it later" services / apps. So I don't think
any money spent on a tablet would net me much in the way of
improvements to things I'm currently doing.

My dad, however, absolutely loves his iPad. He reads books, plays a
ton of solitaire, occasionally checks email, and regularly Skypes with
my sister. For his activities, a tablet is a much better device than a
laptop: no mucking about with an operating system, or anti-virus
software, or glitches that make him call me to ask "how do I fix
this?"

It's worth noting that there's a refurbished 10" Samsung Galaxy Tab on
woot today for $330: http://www.woot.com/