[colug-432] Linux virus scan

Dave Maxwell dmaxwell at columbus.rr.com
Sat Mar 24 23:04:59 EDT 2012

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 16:12:58 -0400
Bernie Clear <bernie.clear at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok I know some of the big companies have been pushing their Linux
> Virus scan agents but haven't heard of anyone really using them. I
> want to hear fellow colugers thoughts on running virus scan agents to
> protect the Linux OS.
>
> Regards.
>
> -Bernie

To protect Linux, not so much.  I run ClamAV on a mail gateway to
protect the Windows machines that are the main recipients.  From what
I've seen, Linux seems to be targeted more by focused attacks than by
generalized harvesting.  That is something like port scanning a host
and trying likely exploits whereas Windows machines tend to be targeted
by drive-by downloads and socially engineered emails and IMs.

Dave