[colug-432] Raspberry Jam: HDMI Output to DVI Input

Angelo McComis angelo at mccomis.com
Thu Nov 8 16:59:53 EST 2012

Not specific to Raspberry PI, but you have to understand a couple things:

There are HDMI to DVI cables - but HDMI has both audio and video, while DVI
only carries video.  Buying a simple cable will leave you able to see but
not hear.
Here's one such:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=102
3104&p_id=2661&seq=1&format=2

There are HDMI converters that will split the A/V out -- I like monoprice
for these kinds of things. Search there for something most suitable.

But, then I came across this post:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=18768

which mentions that folks doing this (hdmi to dvi) are seeing issues where
the video will only come out as 640x480.

YMMV obviously.