[colug-432] talking to your ISP

Angelo McComis angelo at mccomis.com
Fri Nov 30 00:04:58 EST 2012

Rick,

I'm on TW in Columbus. If I do a speedtest to a local site (Datacenter.bz,
in this case), I get about 27mbit/1mbit down/up.  For the sake of this
email, I did a test to a pop in San Jose. I got 87ms ping, and 16mbit/1mbit
down/up.

That said, I've asked about performance, and they said that I'm getting
(subscribed) at 7mbit/512kbit...  So, while I'm not paying for 22/1, as
long as I'm getting at least 7/.5, they are in line with their SLAs.

I've heard that they are offering a 50/5 and 30/5 as 'Wideband' service. No
pricing seen yet on that though.

But more to your point, if you feel like you're not getting what you paid
for, your best bet is to speak to technical support (rather than customer
service). You could escalate to the public utilities commission, because
you're paying a metered rate and not getting it. (PUCO for Ohio, not sure
what it is for you in KC KS/MO).

For cable service, being at the end of the line shouldn't matter. It's
signal strength that matters, and if they say you're provisioned at 10mbit,
and you can't get 10mbit, it would seem that there's a physical limitation
of some kind (bad line, bad modem, ???).

I once had business class through TW, because my job was paying for it...
that service was described as being reserved bandwidth, etc. -- but it uses
the same equipment, same physical lines, but was fixed at 2mbit. And I only
got 2mbit (this was 10 years ago though). In my case, changing to
residential service bumped my speed up almost 4-fold at the time.

Another trick you can try - 4G service...

Good luck on this.  Let us know what the outcome is.