[colug-432] OT: Mainboard question

Jason White whitewaterssoftwareinfo at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 13:30:14 EDT 2012

As I said before, the lighter more reflective areas of the PCB are
copper traces. They are under a layer of green solder mask. the crack
in the printed circuit board has severed one to all of the traces of
copper it runs through. What you could do is:

(Assuming you have had experience with electronics before, do not try
if you do not know what you are doing. I shall not be liable for
damages caused)

  1) Mechanically secure the separated chunks of PCB together (ie.
epoxy on the component side) so that they cannot be separated again
through normal use
  2) Remove (scratch off) the green solder mask layer around the crack
from the copper traces that have been severed
  3) (lazy way) With a soldering iron, lay down globs of solder on the
traces where the crack has severed them. This bridges the mechanical
gap between the broken segments of the copper trace and forms an
electrical connection
  3) (non-lazy way) same as the lazy way except you use small copper
wire with the solder

If this email is not clear, feel free to ask. However I'm pretty sure
that Google can shed some light on any question you may have.

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 11:04 PM, Bill Baker <bill_chris at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Here is a picture of it:
>
> http://imgur.com/qJENO
>
> The crack starts just above my thumb and runs northeast to the other
> side.  The black square on the right side is for the AC adapter.
>
> On 09/01/2012 10:40 PM, Jason White wrote:
>> Yes, however it requires knowing what specifically is broken, I'd
>> recommend posting pictures of the broken PCB. What you will end up
>> needing to do is to (most likely) is to run wires between the broken
>> traces[1].
>>
>> [1] - A Trace is a strip of copper that forms an electrical connection
>> on a printed circuit board
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Bill Baker <bill_chris at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>> I know this is off-topic for Linux but I know we have some experts in
>>> here when it comes to working with mainboards, so here goes:
>>>
>>> I have a rather expensive metronome I bought back when I was a music
>>> major in college.  I recently dug it out and tried plugging it in but it
>>> would not turn on.  Removing the back of it, I noticed that there is a
>>> crack in the corner of the mainboard right where the cord plugs in.
>>> Holding the two pieces of the mainboard together tightly while turning
>>> it on doesn't seem to make any difference.  Is there any way of fixing
>>> the mainboard so that it will work when plugged in?

Jason White