[colug-432] Problem with Grub2

Rob Stampfli res at colnet.cmhnet.org
Sun Sep 30 20:18:46 EDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 01:37:39PM -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> I have just revamped my Linux platform and have a question about grub2.
>
> I have two distributions installed and would like to change the order of
> selection on the boot screen.  It used to be simple with grub, only
> changing the order of the entries in menu.lst
>
> Now, unfortunately for os deficient individuals such as myself it seems
> to be a tad more complicated, at least that's the impression that I get
> from a Google search.  There doesn't seem to be any sort of menu list,
> at least I can't seem to find one.
>
> So the question is whether there is a fool (myself) proof way to select
> which system gets started if no initial user action is taken during the
> boot process?
>
> Thanks in advance.

This is not what you asked for, but I think it may be a solution:
Depending on your distro, you can set up a "GRUB_DEFAULT" variable.
It can either specify the line number to default to, or you can set
it to an (exact) string to match for the default boot.  On the Debian
loads (Ubuntu, Mint) this variable can be set in /etc/default/grub.
On my hamshack machine, I have mine set to

GRUB_DEFAULT="Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)"

since I want to boot Windows by default on this box.

The default is "GRUB_DEFAULT=0" - default to the top entry.

YMMV,
(the other) Rob