[colug-432] DVD+R

Joshua Kramer joskra42.list at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 22:31:04 EDT 2013

As a side note, if anybody is looking for archival media, the M-Disc is a
DVD technology that purports to last for 1,000 years.  Obviously it's hard
to test the temporal aspect of that claim, but they do submit the discs to
MIL-spec torture tests and they have a demo where they take a disc, soak it
at 180 degrees F, then dip it in liquid nitrogen - and it's still readable
after the fact.

The DVD media requires a special burner (about $15-$35 at Micro Center) but
they plan to come out with Blu-Ray media in 2nd quarter of this year that
is writable by any Blu-Ray writer.  The DVD media is a tad expensive at $30
for a 10-pack (Micro Center, you can find it cheaper online) but is
interesting nevertheless.