[colug-432] Raspberry Pi Life

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Tue Apr 2 14:22:27 EDT 2013

On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 11:15:47 -0400, Scott Merrill <skippy at skippy.net> wrote:

> Someone told me recently that Raspberry Pis are not designed for 24/7 operation.
>
> If one were to run a RasPi continuously, how would that effect that
> longevity of the device?

High temperatures shorten the life of electronics.
The relationship is exponential.

On an unenclosed Raspberry Pi, I measured the main chips[2] running
about 50 F above ambient. A little breeze lowers the temperature
much. So use heat sinks and/or fans to reduce the temperature for
long life. It should not be hard to get the main chips down to
10 F above ambient, at which they should last longer than your
interest in using Pis.

> I suspect the answer is "it depends" on things like workload,
> computational complexity, frequency of disk writes, etc.

Heat is what counts as far as wearing out the Raspberry Pi itself.

SDHC flash memory wears out due to writes also,
but I consider that to be a separate issue.

On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 13:07:11 -0400, Eric Floehr <eric at intellovations.com> wrote:

> So possibly thermal expansion/contraction causing shorts.

Thermal cycling is much more likely to cause opens than shorts.

> Another thing could be capacitor degradation.

Most of the caps on the board are ceramic, which last
_forever_ as long as they are used within their specs,
which is likely. I see three tantalum electrolytic caps,
which will also last long enough to not worry about.
There is one aluminum electrolytic cap, C2, in the
power input connector. Those are known for failing[1].
Failure after two or three years of continuous use is
common. That's mainly for the low ESR caps used in
switch mode power supplies (SMPS) that are common in PC
power supplies, on motherboards near the CPU, and in
LCD displays. Since C2 is used with a linear regulator,
not in a SMPS, it might not be the low ESR type are
are more vulnerable. Nonetheless, C2 is likely the
weakest part on the board. It's wear is also
exponential with temperature[3]. I.e., fans will help
extend its life.

If I was running Pis for a long time, I would put a heat sink
on the main chips and have a fan blow over the whole board.
Even though C2 is the least reliable part,
I wouldn't worry about it because it's easy to replace.
The main chips can not be replaced.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_Plague
    Also search COLUGs archives.

[2] IC2 is actually two chips, one stacked on top of the other.
    The memory chip is on top. The brains is underneath.

[3] See formula 48 of http://www.cde.com/tech/thermalapplet.pdf