[colug-432] Clunk

Vince Herried Vince at PlanetVince.com
Thu Apr 4 12:38:38 EDT 2013

I recently had fun ripping a large number of drives apart.
Found on Ebay a 45 piece tool set that had all needed screw drivers.
Not hardened bits but with care you can get most drives apart without
mangling the bit or screw.
Over 100 platters scavenged and destined for an art project.
One 1993 disc / disk drive said it had 512 MB of capacity had six platters
inside.  Another had 10 platters, I didn't look it up, the manufacturers
were circumspect in telling the capacity on the label on the old guys.

I have a pile of magnets.  With care you can bend the metal away from the
magnet since the appear to be glued on.  These guys are very brittle.

Near the end of the supply of drives I had a WD200  ( 20GB Western Digital
) drive that I just removed the cover and left the guts intact.
Entertaining to watch the thing try to calibrate.  Head assembly bouncing
around.

  Alas I have no incite in fixing your drive.

---
Vince