[colug-432] cat6 or cat6a?

Ed Liddle ed at someplaceinohio.net
Fri Apr 12 00:04:07 EDT 2013

I would check out firefold
http://www.firefold.com/
They seem to have pretty good pricing on things. We bought some cable from
them for a renovation that was done at work a few years ago. We had a few
cat 6 cable reels that were damaged in shipping such so you couldn't unwind
the cable from the spools because the spools were broke. They replaced them
without much trouble. I would be more likely to go with cat6a if I could
afford it. Since its rated better, it should be easier to get to run at
gigabit speeds. There are also RJ45s that are designed for CAT6. They are
different in that they are designed to not need as much cable to be
untwisted compared to ones that are designed for CAT5 or CAT5e. I am not
sure what the difference is between the CAT5e and CAT6 keystone jacks.

Once you get your cables ran, they would be swell for a linux media server
setup.

I hope this helps!

-Ed Liddle

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 11:33 PM, Rick Hornsby <richardjhornsby at gmail.com>wrote:

> Bought a house and am going to be running ethernet from the basement,
> through finished walls.  Wireless is nice for phones but sucks for large
> file transfers.  The question is cat6 or cat6a?  Seems like cat6 would do,
> but like cat5e, it seems like cat6a is a better cable.  Bigger and heavier,
> which may mean harder to run through the walls.  I'm not planning to run
> anything over the cable except straight ethernet (no PoE, no POTS).
>
> There are no $4000 (or $15k) 10G switches in my future, if that matters.
>
> Is there an online outlet that is recommended for materials like
> keystones, patch panel, etc?  I have most or all of the tools, but it has
> been several years since I've done any wiring like this.  I have a pretty
> old and simple ethernet cable tester that worked okay for CAT5, once I
> figured out that the light pattern of a good cable wasn't what the
> directions said it should be.

-Ed Liddle

No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many
electrons were terrible inconvenienced.