[colug-432] Red Hat in May

Scott McCarty scott.mccarty at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 17:57:54 EDT 2013

All,
   Yeah, to elaborate on what I think Neal was getting at. Before I came to Red Hat, I really didn't *know* much about the internal culture. It is quite interesting how vocal employees are on the internal list. Employees regularly make their opinions known and I believe that has been intrinsic to keeping Red Hat's culture in tact.

I have to say, everyone I have met internally at Red Hat is motivated, hard working, and rewarded for contributing; whether it is code, community outreach, giving, sales, etc. Red Hat really does have a pretty free spirit about it. It is a bit of a surprise when one first comes to Red Hat. I personally, was not fully aware of the culture before I came here and I believe that is pretty common for new hires.

To Neal's point, from outside of Red Hat, I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about how Red Hat's business is built around Open Source. For example, a while back I was speaking with someone from Google, and they actually asked me how Red Hat makes money. Even people at Google don't totally understand why a customer would pay to use Open Source software. In fact, I used Red Hat Linux before I came to Red Hat, and I didn't *totally* get it.

There is a wild range of use cases for Open Source: academic, hobby, personal, gaming, small business, large business, engineering, corporate IT, manufacturing, financial services, stock markets, engine controls, etc, etc. Each of these use cases have different requirements. Red Hat really only targets some of those use cases. A prime example would be, where long term usage and partnership is a true benefit such as in financial services, manufacturing or aviation. Red Hat makes money partnering with these companies, which in turn employs programmers, which in turn contributes to a ton of Open Source projects, which in turn contributes to all of the above use cases.

There are use cases, even in the internal operations of Red Hat, where a paid distribution of Open Source software just doesn't make sense. These cases are quickly voiced by employees internally at Red Hat, which does truly help Red Hat keep it's bearings and focus on the business cases that do make sense. There is a constant process of learning and evolution through public debate, which is recorded publicly on internal mailing lists.

While, I have not met anyone internally at Red Hat that completely fails to understand Open Source software, I have met individuals at different stages of learning about where Red Hat fits in. I think this is healthy and normal. Even as an individual, I think it is a constant journey and we are all learning where we fit in and where we want to fit in.

I hope that helps :-)

Best Regards
Scott M