[colug-432] Password

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Wed Aug 14 22:16:50 EDT 2013

On Wednesday, August 14, 2013 07:36:40 PM tom wrote:
> Hi
>
> How to _locally_ generate a good password?

pwgen is usually the first one that comes to my mind. There's also a Perl
script called "genpass" I picked up a while back that tries to generate
semi-pronouncable passwords; it's probably a CPAN module by now.

Looks like there are a few other options...

$ apt-cache search password | grep -i generat
apg - Automated Password Generator - Standalone version
pwgen - Automatic Password generation
gpw - Trigraph Password Generator
libcrypt-generatepassword-perl - perl module to generate secure passwords
libcrypt-smbhash-perl - generate LM/NT hash of a password for samba
libstring-mkpasswd-perl - Perl module implementing a random password
generator
libstring-random-perl - Perl module for generating random strings
libtext-password-pronounceable-perl - Perl module to generate pronounceable
passwords
makepasswd - Generate and encrypt passwords
otp - Generator for One Time Passwords
otpw-bin - OTPW programs for generating OTPW lists

--
Rob Funk <rfunk at funknet.net>
http://funknet.net/rfunk