[colug-432] TCP port "permission denied" on rooted Android

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Sun Dec 1 16:55:49 EST 2013

Finally rooted my Droid X. Am running a 'chroot' Debian. Making
progress. Need to install CM soon. (Basically putting off the latest
Verizon/Googoo update 12 hours at a click. I don't want it.)

Have been unable to make outbound TCP connections from non-root. For
some of my experiments, this is a stow shopper. Ever heard anything like
this? Not just low ports, any. And this is outbound so I would think it
doesn't matter. (Or are clients getting low ports on their end of the
outbound? Never heard that before either.)

If SELinux were in play, it might make sense. But it's not. What can
restrict ports like that other than SELinux?

Thanks.

-- R; <><