[colug-432] MicroSD cards: pysical wear and tear

Brian Miller bnmille at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 18:18:52 EST 2013

On 02/07/2013 02:31 PM, Scott Merrill wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 2:22 PM,  <jep200404 at columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 10:43:19 -0500, Scott Merrill <skippy at skippy.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I currently have a traditional external USB HDD (read: rotational
>>> media) attached to this. The use case for this system doesn't merit a
>>> solid state hard drive, but I could use USB sticks or SD cards to
>>> avoid physical wear and tear.
>
> I should have qualified. I understand that all media wears out through
> use.  What I'd like to avoid is mechanical failure of the mechanisms
> involved in spinning platters around, or the heads responsible for
> reading and writing to them. I'd like to not worry about damage that
> might result from dropping the media, for example.

My netbook came with an 8GB SD card, preformed with either NTFS or vFAT
(I don't remember which).  I've reformatted it under Linux several
times.  The first time I used ext2, I've formatted once with ext3, and
it currently has btrfs.  I can't say as I've noticed any performance
degradation.  But then, I haven't made a serious effort to track it.

I use the system as part of my automated backup strategy, so the disk
does get some writes every night, but usually when I'm asleep . . .