[colug-432] MicroSD cards: exFAT or ext?

Chris Clonch chris at theclonchs.com
Fri Feb 8 12:40:44 EST 2013

On 2013-02-07 10:43, Scott Merrill wrote:
> I currently have a traditional external USB HDD (read: rotational
> media) attached to this. The use case for this system doesn't merit a
> solid state hard drive, but I could use USB sticks or SD cards to
> avoid physical wear and tear.
> I'm curious if any folks here can share personal experiences with
> reformatting SDXC cards to use native Linux filesystems?  How's the
> performance? The longevity?

Can't speak to SDXC, but here is my experiences with USB stick and SDHC
based systems:

I have an Atom-based "file server" which boots from a USB stick.  I
mount /home from the raided drives and tmpfs /var/log, /var/tmp and
/tmp; all others are on the stick and use ext2/4.  I run Arch on it (so
rolling releases) and update, on average, quarterly.  It has been
running this way for 2+ years now.  While I've not done any formal
testing, I haven't noticed substandard performance for an atom-based
system.

I also have a Sheevaplug running Debian with a similar filesystem
structure but on a class 10 SDHC card (8GB I believe).  I also believe I
set it to bypass the onboard flash (so no JFFS) and boot from the SD
card.  Presently I don't have connectivity to it so I cannot confirm
this.  Its been running less than a year, but I anticipate a similar
lifespan to my file server.  Again, no formal tests, but I can't discern
any performance pros/cons due to the chipset.

As others have mentioned and alluded to, keep good backups, a spare
stick/card on hand and you'll be good to go on these small, low-powered
platforms.

-Chris