[colug-432] Splunk Storm

Tom Hanlon tom at functionalmedia.com
Wed Jan 2 13:56:13 EST 2013

Colug,

I saw the title to this and I thought to myself ....
" is this a combination of splunk with Nathan Marz's from Twitter, Storm product"
https://github.com/nathanmarz/storm

Sort of in the same space. I wonder if Splunk added the word 'Storm' to a product to muddy the context for customers ?

Anyhow..
I do think that Nathan Marz's Storm is an interesting project.

I teach hadoop, so along with ingestion of data, often with flume or some other log collection tool, folks often want something close to near real time event processing.

There is esper, there is splunk , there is storm.
http://esper.codehaus.org/

As far as Open Source (apache licensed) Nathan Marz's Storm is getting a lot of attention, not sure how much adoption.

Thanks for the tip on splunkstorm. Are the features identical to commercial splunk ? I might want to mess around with Splunk so I can get a feel for the features. I tend to talk about it in vague terms, I think I cover the basics, but a little hands-on experience would be nice.

Thanks,

Tom