[colug-432] qmail SSL using wrong certificate

Robert Grimm robertgrimm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 17:23:55 EST 2013

Are there any qmail experts here? I'm trying to set up a new server with it
on Debian 6. I had everything working with a self-signed certificate. I'm
trying to install a new certificate from a certificate authority. I
replaced the old .pem file with the new one in /var/qmail/control, like all
the guides say to do. I made sure the ownership and permissions matched the
old certificate. The problem now is that it is still using the old
certificate. It refuses to use the new one. Thunderbird complains that the
server has an unknown identity and shows me the information from the old
certificate. It acts like it isn't reading the certificate file, though I
know it must be because it didn't start listening on the secure ports until
I coped the local key into it. I'm using the certificate that I downloaded
directly from digicert.com with the server's private key at the beginning.
What am I doing wrong? How can I get it to use the correct certificate?

Robert Grimm
Voice only: (614) 212-4625
http://www.datablitz.net
http://www.grimmphotography.com