[colug-432] Apache2 configuration

William Temple whtemple1959 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 14:10:14 EST 2013

To be honest I have practically no real experience with Apache and am
intimidated about making changes to any of the files.

But, I need to get a web based application up and running for my business.

I have Ubuntu 12.04 and LAMP installed on pc1.

I have the web application located at /var/www/wkhmk
I can access the site and perform all tasks from pc1 via localhost/wkhmk
I can access the login screen from pc1 via 192.168.1.113/wkhmk but get a
blank screen after typing in the log in credentials.
I can access the login screen from pc1 via the machine's name...
ubuntu/wkhmk but again get a blank screen after typing in the login
credentials
>From pc2 I can access the website application via the ip address
192.168.1.113/wkhmk but after typing in the log in credentials I get sent
to a web based error page.
>From pc2 I cannot access the website using the machine name... ubuntu/wkhmk
again being redirected to a web based error page.

I am somewhat confused as to which file needs to be changed to allow access
via the ip address or the machine name but what confuses me is why I can
get to the log in screen but no further.

I have searched but have not found any references to this particular
situation. To be honest I have not been able to frame the Google search
parameters in such a way to get a qualifying response.

I admit to being intimidated by altering any configuration files and of not
fully understanding the apparent explanations I have found so far.

So could some one please supply guidance?