[colug-432] Internet Census 2012 (Open ports by the millions).

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 19:19:46 EDT 2013

On Mar 22, 2013, at 16:45, Tim Randles <tim.randles at gmail.com> wrote:

> Locked wifi considered harmful
>
> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/04/open-wireless-movement

I remember reading that and considering it.  My argument is simple: as has been discussed here previously, timewarner's service sucks. Typically, I can hardly stream a 2 minute YouTube video in 5 minutes and l'm the only one on the network.  I don't need anyone else on it too.

I'm also pretty sure that while you might be protected from criminal ramifications of someone using your connection, the telco may still hold you responsible for any AUP violations.  They may decide that you're in breach one of two ways - either for the activity itself, or for re-selling your residential connection (for free, but by letting others use it they could make the argument.)

That being said, I'm probably going to end up with FTTH in the next few months.  I'm planning to have a rate-limited open wifi available. If you're lost in a neighborhood 10 minutes north of the Kansas Speedway, you can use my connection to find your way.