[colug-432] Monitoring your link

gmail tje210 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 19:47:49 EDT 2013

for linux, i was introduced to this sweet tool called "nethogs" (on debian
# apt-get nethogs)... tool must be run as root.  it does a really nice and
accurate job of letting me know what's running and how much data it's
sending and receving.  works like top... can press "s" and "r" while it's
running to sort by data sent/data received.  there are some things it
doesn't identify, but at least it identifies ports, and if i were so
inclined i bet i could correlate those with an lsof to see what's in use.