[colug-432] WOW is hijacking my Google searches, but how?

Rob res at colnet.cmhnet.org
Wed Mar 27 00:17:30 EDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 04:45:36PM -0500, tom wrote:
> On 03/26/2013 04:12 PM, Rob wrote:
> > For the past few days, I have been working on building Mint 14 system
> > on a second disk on my main PC.  I hate to transition, but my preferred
> > OS for the past three years (Ubuntu 10.04) will be going EOL next month
> Still have Win 98SE running on one of my computers.

So do I, but I don't go surfing the net with it.

> > and I have to do something.  Frankly, I've run into a number of problems
> > with Mint
> > that I find rather disturbing -- is Mint really being marketed
> > as made-for-prime-time? -- but perhaps the most disturbing might not
> > even involve Mint, although I'm increasingly suspicious it does.
> I have been running it for several months. No problems.

I've had problems with Mint 14 hanging on boot and taking an inordinate
amount of time to shut down.  The boot problems were traced to NFS mounts
in /etc/fstab.  BTW, Mint 13 worked fine until the last set of updates;
now it exhibits the same symptoms.  (Work-around: use "noauto" option
in fstab and mount the file systems manually later from /etc/rc.local.
Then, everyone is happy.

And this should make any Unix-literate user gasp:  apt-get the Korn Shell
(ksh) and then:
	$ cd /usr/lib
	$ ksh
	$ cd ../../etc
	$ pwd
	(The 'cd' returns success, but you won't be in /etc!)

Amazing that this basic a bug got past Beta!

Rob