[colug-432] Debian on Pi

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Sun May 5 08:06:13 EDT 2013

I bought a Raspberry Pi, finally.

I intend to use this headless, so the Fedora Remix and the Raspbian
distributions both seem like more than I need.  A good old fashioned
minimal install of Debian should suffice.

>From the http://elinux.org/RPi_Distributions page, I downloaded the
following image:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/images/debian/6/debian6-19-04-2012/debian6-19-04-2012.zip

I flashed the image onto two different SD cards: one 4GB class 4
device, and one 8GB class 10 device.

When inserting either card into the Pi and applying power, nothing
happened.  The red power LED illuminates, but the green SD card access
light never lights up.

I flashed the official Raspbian image
(http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads) onto the 4GB card, and the Pi
boots. The green SD card access LED illuminates, the NIC lights flash,
and I can access the device over the network.

I'd really rather stick with stock Debain, rather than Raspbian, if at
all possible. Is there a better Debian image I should be trying,
perhaps?

Thanks,
Scott