[colug-432] Insight, TW, WOW, VoIP

Chris Harting clharting at rocketmail.com
Mon May 6 20:17:11 EDT 2013

I switched to Wow from Insight just as Insight became Time Warner.
Before switching, I moved my home phone number from Insight Digital
Phone to MagicJack Plus. I toyed with the idea of setting up VOIP with
Google Voice, but I needed something simple and stable for the family
to use. (I use GV with my cell phone, it's great to have 2 numbers for
a single phone, helps keep business and personal separate.)
Two drawbacks to MagicJack:
- Caller ID works, but we don't get the caller name.
- They bill you $10/year to port your phone number -- not just the one-
time fee. I don't quite understand that...
Still, from what I was paying for Insight Digital Phone, I'll save ~
$300 this year.