[colug-432] Fully Featured email server

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Wed May 15 09:44:48 EDT 2013

On Wednesday, May 15, 2013 07:32:28 AM Aaron Howard wrote:
> Out of general curiosity, do any of these solutions work well on low end
> systems? For instance, a 64MB vps?

64MB would be a little low, but you might get the basics (SMTP + POP/IMAP,
command-line and file-based management). Things like spamassassin and
clamav would have to be skipped though; those take a lot of memory.

I've been running my setup on a Linode virtual server for a few years now.
It's the cheapest they offer ($20/month), and was 512MB until they doubled
everyone's memory recently. ClamAV and Spamassassin used huge percentages
of that 512MB (e.g. 20% for one clamav process). I'm also running MySQL and
Apache (mostly for Postfix Admin, which is a PHP app), which take the next-
biggest amount of memory.

But I'd really recommend aiming higher than 64MB. I'd recommend at least
256MB, and I'm sure you can do better than that for a reasonable price.

--
Rob Funk <rfunk at funknet.net>
http://funknet.net/rfunk