[colug-432] PyOhio 2013 Proposal Deadline is Near (June 1st)!

Brian Costlow brian.costlow at gmail.com
Sun May 19 14:18:36 EDT 2013

PyOhio 2013, the annual Python programming conference for Ohio and the
surrounding region, will take place Saturday, July 27th, and Sunday, July
28th, 2013 at the Ohio Union, The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio.

You can read more about the conference at http://pyohio.org. If you have
questions about proposals, please email cfp at pyohio.org. You can also
contact the PyOhio organizers at pyohio-organizers at python.org.

PyOhio invites all interested people to submit proposals for scheduled
talks, tutorials, and panels. All topics of interest to Python programmers
will be considered. Standard presentation talk slots will be 40 minutes
plus a 10 minute question-and-answer period. Tutorial slots will be 110
minutes long.

The deadline to submit a proposal is June 1st.

*Who Should Submit a Proposal?

You. Your friends. Your friends' friends. Anyone with any level of Python
knowledge is a candidate for a great topic at this conference. As we get
attendees of all kinds, we need speakers of all kinds. In all ways and
manners, we try to assemble the most diverse conference we can, and we do
that with your help.

Whether you got started with Python last month or you've been around for 20
years, we think you've got something to share. The Python community is
stronger than ever and we're still reaching new areas, new industries, and
new users. Be a part of growing Python by helping us change the future.

In particular, we welcome submissions from people that have never done a
talk before! And if you want help preparing a talk, let us know! Volunteers
are eager to help new people do talks.

You can submit more than one proposal.

*What should I talk about?

Anything to do with Python. Teach us about your favorite standard library
module, or your favorite external library or framework. Show us something
cool you built with Python. Science and data modeling. Web apps. Finance.
Testing. Big data. DevOps. Integration with other languages.

Do you want to work on a talk, but don't have any ideas? The topics below
are up for grabs. Several people could easily work together on each one.
Please take these ideas and stretch it out or focus on just one part of it
or do whatever else you want.

Parallelism shootout: threads vs multiple processes vs libevent.

Walk through porting a library from python 2 to python 3

Python newbies. If you've programmed in another language first, Intro to
Python for X Programmers, where X is Java, JS, C, PHP etc. If you're
entirely new to programming, a short talk about your journey learning with
Python would be great.

We're still looking for someone to do an intro to Python tutorial for
adults this year. Hint.

*To Submit your proposal.

Sign up for an account on the PyOhio website.

Fill out a speaker profile. After that, you'll be able to submit a
proposal. Pick talk or tutorial, and then describe your talk. You can edit
stuff later, so don't over-think it.

Regularly check your email for questions from the reviewers.

*Keynote and Young Coder.

We are thrilled to announce that Brandon Craig Rhodes will be this year's
keynote speaker.

Brandon has been a frequent speaker and contributor at PyCon, PyOhio,
COhPy, and in his own words: "everywhere from the middle of Arkansas to the
country of Poland."

http://rhodesmill.org/brandon/

He is co-author of The Essentials of Python Network Programming, and author
of a number of Python open source packages.

https://bitbucket.org/brandon

Also, Katie Cunningham will be giving an intro to Python class for young
people 12-18 years old (7th-12th grade). This is a version of the Young
Coder class she and Barbara Shaurette gave at PyCon this year.

https://us.pycon.org/2013/events/letslearnpython/

*PyCamp

PyCamp is a one-week, intensive, ultra-low-cost Python boot camp for
beginners. It was developed by a Python user group and has been given to
over 1000 students worldwide. Proceeds from PyCamps are used to sponsor
Python community activities like PyOhio. PyCamp is taking place July 22-26
in the Ohio Union, the week before PyOhio weekend. Registration is open.

http://trizpug.org/boot-camp/pyohio13/

*Register for PyOhio

Registration for PyOhio is now open.

PyOhio remains 100% free to attend. Just sign up for the free registration
so we can get a head count. Or, if you want the T-Shirt, sign up for the
paid ticket to get your shirt. (But don't do both!)

http://pyohio.org/registration/

*Hotel(s)

We have a discount room block at the Blackwell, right on OSU's campus for
$120.00 a night. There are a few rooms blocked for the whole week for any
out-of-towners going to PyCamp as well. Just tell them you are coming for
PyOhio.

http://www.theblackwell.com/

If it fills up, here are some other nearby hotels:

http://www.hipmunk.com/hotels/Columbus-OH#!dates=Jul26,Jul28

Hope to see you all at the conference!

The 2013 PyOhio Organizing Committee