[colug-432] syslog facilities

Jon Miller jonebird at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 11:07:31 EDT 2014

Rick Hornsby <richardjhornsby at gmail.com> writes:

> Curious about opinions on syslog facilities, specifically when your
> [r]syslog server is set up to accept logs from remote sources. Says the
> RFC, the enumerated facilities are:
>
>               0             kernel messages
>               1             user-level messages
>               2             mail system
>               3             system daemons
>               4             security/authorization messages
>               5             messages generated internally by syslogd
>               6             line printer subsystem
>               7             network news subsystem
>               8             UUCP subsystem
>               9             clock daemon
>              10             security/authorization messages
>              11             FTP daemon
>              12             NTP subsystem
>              13             log audit
>              14             log alert
>              15             clock daemon (note 2)
>              16             local use 0  (local0)
>              17             local use 1  (local1)
>              18             local use 2  (local2)
>              19             local use 3  (local3)
>              20             local use 4  (local4)
>              21             local use 5  (local5)
>              22             local use 6  (local6)
>              23             local use 7  (local7)
>

> I realize the names are just labels, but I like to do things correctly and not just make it up as I go along. I want, as much as possible, the next guy who comes after me not to scratch his head wondering what kind of nonsense I came up with.
>

> If you're using a syslog server (for example) to accept HTTP access logs from load balancers, which facility is the "correct" one? We're using local0 right now, but that feels kind of hack-ish because local is supposed to be for local stuff, not remote stuff?
>

> What is the convention for choosing a facility to handle remote logs?

I've always used one of the localN facilities myself. I like to think of
"local" as in "local institution" in that it's our playground for managing
the syslog traffic that we deliberately care about. And if I were the next
guy after you, I certainly wouldn't be scratching my head about using
local0.

--
Jon Miller