[colug-432] splatWRT

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Thu Aug 14 12:34:47 EDT 2014

Thanks for all the feedback. That's what I was curious to hear.

The NG WNDR3800 arrived yesterday. I flashed CeroWRT onto it easily and
set the password. Will do more config later. (Day job sucks up too much
time, you can imagine.)

On 08/12/2014 03:00 PM, Rob Funk wrote:
> I think it's good to have things separated to some extent. The more
> you combine onto one box, the more complexity you end up with, and the
> harder it gets to debug or upgrade. And different hardware/OS solutions
> have different strengths and weaknesses.

Sure ... I also highly value the proximity of bootable spares (or even
full redundancy).

The services I'm trying to combine are address assignment (DHCP) and
network access (FW/router/gateway). Having those two split on different
boxes is sub-optimal. But I "trust" a DHCP server I can control more
than the router vendors stuff, thus pursuit of *WRT and friends.

Also, Jacob Hopkins suggested off-list that I check out virtualization.
Yeah, I'm already doing that, but V12N is certainly a help on the
separate-and-dedicate front.

> Of course, I also reduce the blinks in the night by putting all those
> boxes on uninterruptible power supplies, and making them low-power
> boxes with no moving parts. And if they do lose power, the only harm
> done is having to wait a minute for a bootup.

Exactly. The current Pentium with a whopping 64M RAM and SuSE 8 ...
works ... barely ... and sucks amps.

> Personally I have a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH running OpenWRT as my border
> router (with DHCP but no wifi),   ...

Is that a not-WiFI-capable box?
I have a wired-only LinkSys that I'm thinking about flashing with an
alternative. (This one more of an experiment than actual need.)

-- R; <><