[colug-432] splatWRT

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Fri Aug 15 18:19:51 EDT 2014

I configured the WNDR3800 with CeroWRT enough to put it on my
cablemodem. (We're on TWC/RR.) So the Linux box which is my current
router/firewall/gateway now gets a lease from CeroWRT instead of
directly from TimeWarner.
Works.

IPv6 at home is via SixXS tunnel and recovered immediately, now
connecting via the new IPv4 lease(s).
It's all fine and dandy.

I punched a couple of ports through the new router to the old Linux box.
(Services it has been running that we have come to depend on.)
They work fine.

New SSIDs show up in WiFi land. I have not begun to use them. CeroWRT
(and OpenWRT) also has mesh links, but I turned those off for the time
being. (As a ham radio hobbyist, I hope to pick that up eventually.)

*The good news:* TimeWarner gave, and CeroWRT took, both an IPv4 address
and an IPv6 address. (Had not tried for an IPv6 lease with the old box.
Probably could have done so.) I'll be chatting up IPv6 again at the next
LOPSA meeting, so this will make for another slide in that deck.

*The bad news:* The IPv6 address TimeWarner gave us is /128. I am
stunned. Seen that before (for residential) but have also seen /64 in
some cases. There's /no reason at all/ why they should pinhole IPv6
connectivity to a single address. It's completely counter to the purpose
for which IPv6 was invented. I can only imagine that it's a way to
nickel-and-dime the masses. If they think /64 is overkill, they should
at least hand out /96 or /112. The latter would give home users 64K
addresses for the fridge, TV, Nest thermostat, home surveillance, and
fifty thousand wall warts.

Before I take any send-a-nasty-letter action, I will call customer
support. It might be as simple as asking. Am just blown away that it's
not automatic.

Next step will be to format and populate a USB stick. Will then point
the embedded  lighttpd  web server at that instead of the re-direct page
it presently has.

After that I'll look at DNS on the router.

DHCP will get used once I start moving systems off the old WiFi (and
LAN) to the new, but clearly already functions.

-- R; <><