[colug-432] Opinions on Certs?

Tim Randles tim.randles at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 15:52:13 EST 2014

FWIW - I took the RHCSA exam a couple years ago because it was required by
my employer.  The course and test was all done in-house.  I have 15+ years
of experience and found it to be pretty easy.  The nice thing about it was
that you were given a set of tasks to accomplish on a virtual machine.  It
was a mix of basic debugging (IIRC the networking was misconfigured with a
bad subnet mask that prevented you from reaching an LDAP server elsewhere
on the network) and service/system configuration.  You weren't tested on
rote memorization of commands and options.  Man pages were available,
/usr/share/doc was populated, etc.  As long as the system was configured
and running as required and it all survived a reboot then you were good to
go.

That being said, aside from the one employer that required it, the other
places I've worked have valued experience much more than certifications.
I'll echo Rick...If you're just starting out getting a few certs is a good
way to demonstrate the ability to at least learn and apply some level of
admin skills and might help land you an interview.

I won't take any credit for teaching Rick.  He's one of the brightest guys
I've had the pleasure of mentoring in my career.

Tim