[colug-432] Introduction and distro preference question

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Sat Feb 1 10:46:07 EST 2014

On Saturday, February 01, 2014 08:47:36 AM Dan Kaiser wrote:
> Sounds like a good idea to pick a Debian based distro at first (because
> I'm familiar) and then try many others virtually and branch out as time
> goes on.

I'd agree with that.

> I have only used VirtualBox (VB) under OS X, but will have to do some
> playing with KVM and others if available. VB had the limitation of only
> running 32-bit systems. If I can find one that will host 64-bit systems I
> can nuke my win7 partition and only use it virtually when needed.

I just recently installed 64-bit OS X on VirtualBox running on 64-bit
kUbuntu. I haven't tried it with Win7 though.

> My current plan is to dual boot the distro of my choice along with win7
> (it came with the computer so why not) on a smaller mSATA drive, and
> have the standard HDD be shared storage (vFAT or NTFS).
>
> Anyone using a similar set-up and have any warnings or tips for setup?

Last I heard, NTFS support on Linux was still kind of hackish. You might be
better off with a vfat space, plus separate storage spaces optimized for
each OS. Or just virtualize Windows entirely.

--
Rob Funk <rfunk at funknet.net>
http://funknet.net/rfunk