[colug-432] truecrypt

Robert Jewell bob at disclosed.org
Fri Feb 7 01:09:49 EST 2014

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 10:17 PM, Rick Hornsby <richardjhornsby at gmail.com>wrote:

> The other thing I'm wondering the best way to deal with is to off-site
> backup the volume.  You can't diff the volume, since it is a binary file.
>  Repeatedly copying a 10GB file will start to annoy the place you're
> uploading it to.  Would it make more sense to create a local and remote
> truecrypt volume and do something with rsync to keep the contents in sync
> as long as both volumes are open?  Hmm, I'm wondering if a hosting provider
> like DH would even allow that sort of thing (assuming it was possible now
> that I think about it?)

SpiderOak (or something similar that you might trust) claims zero-knowledge
storage, so it could be a target for the files from your encrypted volume.
In that particular case, if you can weasel it down to 2gb, it's free, and
really painfully easy, but you'll have to be careful and trusting.

If you're up for some work (of course you are), I'd really recommend
storing your backups on Amazon Glacier. It's infrequent bulk-access storage
with extremely delayed retrieval.  Submit a webservice request for
retrieval and check back once an hour to see if it's ready for download. I
imagine they have robots or something moving the data around.

Storage is a $0.01/GB, inbound transfer is free, deletes are free.
Retrievals of a 10gb file will be a few dollars (more or less depending on
how slow you're willing to retrieve it.)  So, if I'm reading their pricing
right, monthly backups will cost you $.30/mo.  Hell, daily backups will
only cost you around $3/mo. There's a lot of fine print, though, so keep an
eye on your costs.  Caveats like deletes of data fresher than 90 days has a
fee...

And do a sanity backup on a USB disk once a year at a friend's house. (or
skip glacier and only do that. ;)