[colug-432] Search Command History

michael at yanovich.net michael at yanovich.net
Mon Feb 10 16:45:51 EST 2014

On 02/10/2014 04:34 PM, tom wrote:
> Is there a way to search command history for a particular item? For
> example I would like to see every instance I used apt-get without having
> to arrow up or down thru the entire history.
>
> Tom

I've heard people suggest using cltr+r and then typing what you are looking
for, but I believe this is shell dependent.

I sometimes just do: history | grep -i "my_term_here"

though if 'history' isn't a valid command in your terminal, I imagine you
could try catting ~/.history or .bash_history / .zsh_history

--
Michael Yanovich