[colug-432] Search Command History

Richard Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 08:44:05 EST 2014

On Feb 11, 2014, at 05:41 , Steve VanSlyck <s.vanslyck723 at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's easier to press one arrow key a few times than to type out a command phrase.

These are all excellent tips, many of which I had no idea existed.  I always do history | grep foo, or try to arrow back, or if I’m feeling really brave using the bang prefix and hope I get lucky.

On a related note, one thing I’ve noticed is that the bash history doesn’t seem to be written to disk immediately.  Even from within our office, we’re required to VPN into the datacenter before being able to log onto any hosts.  The VPN isn’t the most stable thing in the world, nor the are wireless connections we have to use.  (They recently moved us to a brand new building and decided during construction that wired connections for employees’ desks were an unnecessary expense.)  It seems that when my connection gets dropped and the shell is pre-maturely terminated, all the history from that session is gone.

Is there something I’m missing that will cause this to get written more immediately than on a proper logout?  I’ve run into several situations where I really needed to see that history to know what someone else was doing, or where I left off, or what that complex sed command was - but I’m out of luck.